Mercury Poisoning - Rachael Price 9.6



What causes it?
Mercury poisoning is caused by exposure to the scientific element mercury. It cannot be transmitted from organism to organism (unless you count the ingestion of creatures that have accumulated lots of mercury).

There are three ways to be exposed to mercury:

  • Inhalation of mercury vapor (breathing it in) - for example, from faulty mercury fillings

  • Ingestion (eating) of something with high levels of mercury - e.g. from poisoned fish

  • Through skin (If you hold mercury in your hand, etc.)

What are the symptoms?
The symptoms can include one or more of the following:

  • Impairment of the peripheral vision or blurred eyesight

  • Disturbances in sensations ("pins and needles" feelings, numbness) usually in the hands and feet and sometimes around the mouth

  • Lack of coordination of movements, such as writing

  • Impairment of speech, hearing, walking;

  • Muscle weakness

  • Skin rashes

  • Mood swings

  • Memory loss

  • Mental disturbance (Insanity)

  • Insomnia

  • Nervousness

  • Dizziness

  • Anxiety

  • Loss of self-confidence

  • Depression

  • Weight loss

  • Hallucinations

  • Kidney damage

Depending on how you were exposed to mercury, the symptoms can be different.

How long do symptoms last? Is it deadly?
Symptoms last until they are cured or until the patient dies. Mercury poisoning can be deadly if left untreated.

The way mercury poisoning works, mercury continues to build up in one’s body until the toxicity levels are so high that they kill the person.

Can it be cured? If so, how? If not, is there any way that we can at least treat it?
There are different treatments for mercury poisoning, usually depending on where you got it from (e.g., if your heavy metal toxicity levels are very high because of a problem with your mercury fillings, getting your fillings removed can treat the problem).

One form of treatment is called chelation therapy, though the effectiveness of this treatment is debated in medical circles.

As mentioned above, if you are being exposed to mercury due to faulty amalgam (a mix of mercury and other metal(s)) fillings in your teeth, getting the fillings removed professionally can treat the problem. However, detoxification may also be necessary after the procedure.

A few videos on mercury poisoning:







Sources:

Mercury. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://carondelet.net/Family/Science/Shiny/MERCURYpage.htm
Scientific facts on mercury. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.greenfacts.org/en/mercury/mercury-1.htm#1
Symptoms of mercury poisoning - mercury prognosis - detoxification guide. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.heartspring.net/mercury_poison_symptoms
Connealy, L. E. (2006, January 06). The Mad hatter syndrome: mercury and biological toxicity. Retrieved from http://www.naturalnews.com/016544.html